The heart has three arteries that supply oxygen-rich blood to the heart muscles. There are two main coronary arteries originating from the root of the aorta: The left coronary artery and the Right coronary artery. The left coronary artery supplies blood mainly to the front and left side of the heart while the right coronary artery supplies blood to the right of the heart. The third one is the circumflex artery which branches from the left coronary artery and supplies the left side and back of left side of the heart. Unfortunately, there can be a possibility of having blockages in any of the arteries, shares Best cardiac surgeon in Delhi, Dr. Sujay Shad practising at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, one of the best heart surgery hospitals in India.
Poor Lifestyle Causes Heart Problems
A growing number of heart patients with blocked heart arteries is visible in India. In India it’s very common to see people having multiple blockages in their heart arteries because of their poor lifestyle. There could be many culprits for such a heart problem. Commonly, blocked heart arteries are an outcome of diabetes, smoking, excess cholesterol levels in the blood, a sedentary lifestyle, stress, hypertension, poor diet, kidney problems, and a family history of blocked arteries.
Thankfully, blockages in heart arteries can be cleared away with two procedures: Stenting or Coronary Artery Bypass surgery is performed at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, best heart surgery Hospital in India. It’s important to clearly understand both of these surgeries to make the right choice of treatment. However, which procedure should the patient undergo depends upon the patient’s heart condition or problem. This post provides a comparison between bypass surgery and stenting and even tells about why bypass surgery often outweighs stenting in the short, medium and long term. If you are searching for the best cardiac surgery hospital in India to undergo bypass surgery or stenting, visit Dr. Sujay Shad – one of the top cardiac specialists in India.
Bypass Heart Surgery Vs Stenting
Stenting or Angioplasty relative to a bypass surgery is quite a minor procedure that can solve the problem of blocked coronary arteries. While it is mostly undertaken for valid scientific reasons by expert interventional cardiologists, its also requested by patients who are afraid to have a major heart operation. During stenting, a cardiac specialist places a stent inside narrow heart arteries to keep them open.
A Stent is an expandable, tiny metal mesh coil that helps prevent arteries from closing or narrowing again. It comes as a tube with an expandable balloon inside. During stenting the specialist will pass a wire across the blockage, and then position the stent-balloon assembly exactly within the narrow part. Once the balloon is inflated, stent opens by controlled force and keeps the artery open. The balloon is then collapsed by the operator and removed from the patient. Stenting is ideal for patients who have only one blockage in arteries or those who are suffering from sudden heart attacks. This means stenting is not recommended for people having multiple blockages in heart arteries or obstructed blood flow in main arteries.
There can be re-blockages seen in arteries even stenting over some time. This is especially true for diabetic people and the pattern of re-blocking of stented arteries is unpredictable. Patients who have received stents would have to be extra careful in life.
To treat the problem of blocked heart arteries, a natural, effective option is heart bypass surgery. Heart bypass surgery is a major operation, typically an open chest surgery wherein a surgeon cuts the chest to gain access to the heart. The best bypass heart surgery is performed by Dr. Sujay Shad at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital. It is known as one of the top 4 heart surgery hospitals in India. The hospital has the best team of surgeons and top technology that help deliver patients with best results.
Also Read: Why is Sir Ganga Ram Hospital one of the Best Heart Hospital In Delhi, India?
In a bypass heart surgery, the surgeon uses the patient’s own blood vessels to bypass the blockages inside the arteries. One or two arteries from within the chest, along with an artery from the left forearm and leg veins are taken from the patient and used as grafts to bypass blocked areas in the arteries. One end is sewn to the blocked coronary artery beyond the blockage and another to an opening made in the aorta. This creates a new route for blood flow through the arteries. It is a one-time operation that clears all blockages in arteries at once. The overall surgery often lasts for 3-5 hours. Once the operation is over, the patient is kept on a ventilator for a few hours in ICU. Mostly, the patients stay in the hospital for 4-5 days after bypass surgery. After getting discharged from the hospital, the patient can return to normal life and work in about a month. Driving should be avoided for 8 weeks.
Heart bypass surgeries are safe and have over 99% success rates in non-emergency cases. There have been many advancements in bypass surgeries. Now, patients can undergo bypass surgeries on beating hearts without the need of connecting to a heart-lung machine. After successful bypass surgeries patients can lead normal lives for upto 20 years to come and maybe longer.
Top reasons behind India being a preferred destination for Heart bypass surgeries
Among all heart surgeries performed on adults globally, coronary artery bypass surgery is the most common. In India, many heart surgery hospitals daily perform bypass surgeries in large numbers including at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.
In India a bypass surgery was first performed in 1975. In the 1990s, annually about 10,000 bypass surgeries were performed and currently, there are over 60,000 bypass surgeries performed every year.
Today, both Indians and medical tourists are seeking bypass heart surgeries in India’s leading heart hospitals in Delhi like Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.
The rising popularity of the best heart surgery hospitals in India for bypass surgeries is because of the following reasons:
- In India, heart bypass surgeries are performed by highly skilled, cardiac surgeons holding decades of experience in performing successful bypass surgeries. The surgeons carry out the operations keeping in mind the safety of the patient and comfort.
- For over many years, very high success rates of bypass surgeries have been reported in India.
- India has heart surgery hospitals offering highly affordable bypass surgeries as compared to other developed countries like the USA or other states or nations across the globe. In fact, an international heart patient can expect 50-90% lesser expenses on complete heart bypass surgery in India. The factors that influence the average cost of bypass surgery in India include the experience and skill of the surgeon, type of hospital and room chose, outpatient care facility, cost of medications after and before surgery, charges of diagnostic procedures, charges of hospital stay, and fees of the healthcare team including that of the surgeons, anaesthesiologists, physiotherapists, dieticians, and special nurses.
- Top heart surgery hospitals in India like Sir Ganga Ram Hospital provide the patients with best quality treatment using futuristic equipment and high-end infrastructure. India has some of the best medical care facilities and services.
- In India’s leading heart surgery hospital, patients as well as their attendants can get easy accommodation arrangements. The hospital provides special arrangements for international cardiac patients and even appoints multi-linguistic staff to help them.
- Most bypass surgeries in India are advanced and are performed on a beating heart without the use of a heart-lung machine. The heart surgeons at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital provide customised treatment plans including comprehensive preoperative evaluations, minimally-invasive surgical techniques, and post-operative rehabilitation programs.
- India has top heart surgery hospitals accredited by international organisations such as the Healthcare Providers (NABH), National Accreditation Board for Hospitals, and the Joint Commission International (JCI).
- India has many medical companies that can help medical tourists seeking heart bypass surgeries in India with Visa applications and foreign currency exchange.
Still, thinking about where to undergo bypass surgery? Book an appointment with internationally acclaimed, senior cardiac surgeon, Dr. Sujay Shad at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Delhi, India. Here you will get all your medical needs fulfilled at a competitive price! At the medical facility, one can expect to receive personalised, comprehensive care and individualised medical attention.